Effective Date: 7 July 2019
By visiting First Draft and by submitting your information to us, you acknowledge that we will process your personal information as described in this policy. Your use of First Draft and your submission of information to us, and any dispute over privacy, are subject to this policy.
The information that we collect is controlled by Eyewitness Media Hub, which is registered in England and Wales at 2nd Floor, Stanford Gate, South Road, Brighton, BN1 6SB, United Kingdom.
The Information We Collect About You
You directly provide us with most of the data we collect, and the information we collect from you depends on how you use our services.
- Visit the First Draft website, we collect your IP address, the website pages you view, the links you click on and the length of time you visit our website.
- Register for a First Draft account, we collect your email address and your First Draft username.
- Sign in to your First Draft account, we collect your email address and your First Draft username.
- Sign up to receive any First Draft newsletters or for any other First Draft mailing list, we collect your name, email address and language preference.
- Sign up for First Draft’s one-unit verification course, we collect your email address and your First Draft username.
- Sign up for First Draft’s five-unit verification course, we collect your name, email address and organisation.
- Email First Draft via our Contact link, we collect your name, email address, device and IP address.
- Respond to a First Draft training survey, we collect your name, email address, organisation, job title and social media handles.
- Register your interest for one of First Draft’s Standards Sessions, we collect your email address and location, and may collect your name, organisation and job title if you choose to submit this information.
- Click to follow First Draft on Medium, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube or Instagram, you will leave the First Draft website. First Draft does not control these third-party sites or their privacy policies, which may differ from First Draft’s.
We use Google Analytics, which collects information on your location and the browser you are using. Learn more about how Google uses data.
We use Cloudflare as a network layer between our servers and the end users (individuals who visit the First Draft website and whose information Cloudflare processes to provide services to First Draft). When you use First Draft’s website, Cloudflare collects your IP address, system configuration information and other information. Learn more about the data Cloudflare collects from end users.
We use MailChimp for the First Draft mailing list. When you sign up for our list, we provide MailChimp with certain contact information and other personal information, such as your name, email address and language preference. Learn more about the data MailChimp collects when you interact with First Draft email campaigns.
How We Use Your Information
We use your data for:
- Administering the First Draft website.
- Internal operations purposes, such as troubleshooting and testing.
- Communicating with you about your use of First Draft, including responding to your inquiries.
- Understanding how our users access and use First Draft, in order to improve the First Draft user experience and the functionality of the website.
- Responding to user preferences.
- Marketing and promotional purposes.
- Research and analytical purposes.
Security of Your Information
We take strict precautions to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure and destruction. All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers in the United Kingdom.
You should take measures to protect against unauthorised access to your First Draft password and login details by keeping your login details and your password private, and by selecting a strong password that others cannot easily guess. We are not responsible for any lost or compromised passwords or for any activity on your First Draft account that has been conducted via the use of an unauthorised password.
Retention Period for Your Information
Data will be retained:
- For your First Draft account, for as long as your account with us remains active.
- For any sign-ups for First Draft’s verification courses (which would require you to register for a First Draft account or to sign into your existing First Draft account), for as long as your account with us remains active.
- For any information submitted to First Draft when you reach out to us via our Contact link, for as long as necessary to answer your inquiries, plus another two years for our own internal records detailing our engagement with our users.
- For any information submitted to First Draft via a pre- or post-training survey, for as long as necessary to answer your inquiries, plus another three years for our own internal records detailing the feedback received on our trainings.
- For any information submitted to First Draft via our Standards Sessions form, for as long as necessary to answer your inquiries, plus another three years for our own internal records detailing the feedback received on our ethics work.
- For the First Draft newsletters or mailing list, until you unsubscribe from our mailing list (which you can do by clicking on the “unsubscribe” option in the footer of our emails).
- For visiting the First Draft website, for as long as necessary to provide our services to you.
Access to My Personal Information
You may modify personal information that you have submitted to First Draft by signing into your account on the First Draft website and updating your information under the “Edit My Profile” option.
Legal Bases for Using Your Personal Information
Our collection and use of your personal information is done in accordance with your consent (for example, when you choose to send your email address to us as you register for a First Draft account, or when you sign up to receive our newsletters). You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us at [email protected].
Marketing and Promotional Emails
If you have signed up for our newsletters or our Mailing List and would like to withdraw your consent, or object to receiving any marketing or promotional materials from us to which you previously opted in, you can do so by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in the footer of our emails.
Third-Party Sites, Services and Applications
Your Legal Rights
You have the right to:
- Access, correct and delete your personal information at any time. You may request access to the personal information that we hold about you, correct any information that you believe is inaccurate (or complete the information that you believe is incomplete) and request that we delete your information.
- Restrict or object to the processing of your personal information.
- Directly receive from us your personal information in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, or you can ask us to transfer your information directly to another data controller (this is known as data portability).
- Obtain a copy of personal information safeguards used for transfers of personal information outside of your jurisdiction.
- Lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority, if you have concerns with how we are processing your personal information.
Changes to This Policy