What are the steps in finding out whether a picture or video from social media is real?
The Tow Center’s Claire Wardle gave a detailed run down of tools, tips and techniques needed for verification at the recent #FDLive event at The New York Times.
Watch her presentation here and find other videos from #FDLive, including those from the previous event held at the Guardian, below.
Other videos from #FDLive at The New York Times:
- Joe Galvin explains how Storyful set up their newsroom to find breaking news on social media
- Craig Silverman talks about the different sources of fake news online, the different types of misinformation they spread and how to spot them
Videos from #FDLive at the Guardian:
- Bellingcat’s Eliot Higgins discusses advanced geolocation in Syria
- Storyful’s Eliza Mackintosh details verification in the context of terror attacks
- Reportedly’s Malachy Browne shows how he used verification techniques to get an exclusive story of bombs shipped to Yemen
Follow First Draft on Twitter and Facebook to find out about the next #FDLive event.