What are the steps in finding out whether a picture or video from social media is real?
The Tow Center’s Claire Wardle gave a detailed run down of tools, tips and techniques needed for verification at the recent #FDLive event at The New York Times.
Watch her presentation here and find other videos from #FDLive, including those from the previous event held at the Guardian, below.
Other videos from #FDLive at The New York Times:
- Joe Galvin explains how Storyful set up their newsroom to find breaking news on social media
- Craig Silverman talks about the different sources of fake news online, the different types of misinformation they spread and how to spot them
Videos from #FDLive at the Guardian:
- Bellingcat’s Eliot Higgins discusses advanced geolocation in Syria
- Storyful’s Eliza Mackintosh details verification in the context of terror attacks
- Reportedly’s Malachy Browne shows how he used verification techniques to get an exclusive story of bombs shipped to Yemen